Wednesday, June 10, 2009

No weather...but the preparations were good

On Tuesday afternoon, I found myself watching the radar and looking at the latest information from the National Weather Service...wondering if, when and where the storms were going to develop.

I wasn't alone in my actions. Local meteorologists, storm chasers, news directors, assignment editors and reporters across the metro area were all doing the same thing.

Even scientists with the SPC's Vortex2 unit and the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) were all wondering the same thing: the ingredients are in play but when and where will the storms develop?

Long story short, the majority of the storms developed to the southeast of Wichita and to the west...and the activity was much less dangerous and less severe than had been predicted.

Thinking back on the day and the preparations I made, both at work and at home were well worth my time. I made plans, along with the rest of the KFDI News staff, for what we would do in the event of a major weather break out. At home, I checked the survival kit in the basement and made sure it was in order. Needless to say, I didn't need the plans I made nor did I need the survival kit. However, it was good to develop a plan of what might need to be done in an emergency situation.

So, my point, you ask? Everyone should take tornado and thunderstorm watches seriously. Even though the severe weather stayed away from much of the area under the tornado watch Tuesday and Tuesday night, that doesn't mean you should have not been thinking about what you would do in the event of a real weather emergency. Basically, if you still don't have an emergency weather preparedness plan at work or at home...develop a plan now. Don't wait until the next time when the weather really does threaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment